The history of Dunkeld can be traced to the ninth century when it emerged as an important religious centre for the early Celtic Church. No building of this period survives, the present Cathedral dates from 1318. Partly destroyed during the Reformation (1560), the choir is roofed and now serves as the parish church for regular Sunday worship.
The rest of the cathedral is ruinous, but is preserved as an Ancient Monument in the care of Historic Scotland, who are also responsible for the grounds.
On June 7th, 1878, The Athole Hydropathic officially opened. Established initially as a centre for healing and restoration, the Atholl Palace was later transformed into a modern hotel. For over 130 years the hotel has welcomed guests and even housed two prestigious schools during the World Wars.